Brief Curriculum Vitae
Founder Director of Centre for Connection Education and Management and retired Professor and Head of the Department of English, University of Mumbai, India.
- Dr. Vevaina has two Ph.D. degrees to her credit – one in Literature and the other in Education.
- She has published 9 books and 58 papers that have appeared in peer-reviewed national and international journals and critical anthologies.
- Several students have completed their Ph.D., M.Phil. and M.A. thesis and dissertations under her guidance.
- She has been declared as among the ten best Canadian critics in the world by the International Journal of Canadian Studies, Ottawa and has facilitated the establishment of Canadian Studies Centres in India and Europe.
- Her current areas of interest in literature include Poststructural theory, Gender Studies, Children’s Literature, Ecocriticism, Ethical Criticism, Cultural Studies, Spatial Criticism and New Literatures in English.
- In the field of Education, she is deeply involved in innovative, learner-centric curriculum designing, teaching pedagogy and evaluation techniques. In 2013, her book on Education, Source-full Intelligence: Understanding Uniqueness and Oneness through Education was selected as among the eighteen best books published in the U.S.A. in 2013. Her most recent book What Children Really Want has been hailed as a path-breaking innovation by educationists, parents, writers and psychologists from across the world.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS:
Besides her regular teaching and research, Dr. Vevaina
- Is a creative writer of books for children
- Has been a keynote speaker and resource person at literature conferences in foreign countries and India and at UGC Refresher and Orientation Courses all over India
- Has been nominated on the Advisory Board of the Sahitya Akademi
- Has worked as a course designer, course coordinator and academic counsellor and has helped set up learning centres in various institutions.
- Has conducted numerous Teacher-Training programmes in schools, colleges and universities in India and abroad for over twenty-two years.
- Was the coordinator of the Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute’s Centre in the University of Mumbai and regularly assisted the Institute by serving on its adjudication committee.
- Has been a Subject Expert and the Vice Chancellor’s nominee on UGC constituted Selection Panels and has been a member of the Board of Studies (of the University of Mumbai and M.S. University of Baroda, Amity University, Parvathibai Chowgule College of Arts and Science in Goa etc.), the Research and Recognition Committee, the Quality Assurance Committees of various colleges, Local Inquiry Committees and Syllabus committees of various autonomous colleges.
- Was appointed by the University Grants Commission as an expert on their Major and Minor Research and Conference Grants Committees.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
2016In April 2016, she was nominated as a Member on the English Advisory Board of the Sahitya Akademi from April 2016 to December 2017.
2015In September 2015, she was selected among 35 global educationists involved in changing educational paradigms and was invited as a speaker to the World Leaders in Education Conference in the University of Waikato, New Zealand.
2013Foreword Reviews, U.S.A. declared her book Source-full Intelligence: Understanding Uniqueness and Oneness through Education as among the eighteen best books published on Education in the United States in 2013
2012In September 2012, the Higher Education Forum honoured her with the G.S. Rao Memorial Award for her outstanding contribution to the teaching of English in India.
2009The University of Mumbai selected her as one of the best teachers and researchers in the University and in July 2009, conferred on her the Performance Incentive Award for her teaching, research and involvement with student activities.
2007In 2007, she received the Faculty Enrichment Fellowship also from the Shastri Institute, for syllabus designing and exchange programmes with Canadian universities.
2004In February 2004, she received the Award of Merit from the Indian Association of Canadian Studies for her outstanding contribution to Canadian Studies.
1999In 1999, one of her critical articles was selected as one of the ten best in the world on Canadian Literature and this won her an honorary position for three years on the Advisory Board of the International Journal for Canadian Studies. She was reappointed on the Board from Fall 2007 to 2009.
1996In 1996, she was awarded the Shastri Faculty Research Fellowship for post-doctoral work on Afro-Caribbean Canadian Women Writers.
1988In 1988, she received the Graduate Student Scholarship from the Canadian External Affairs Ministry in Ottawa for research in Canada.
1985From 1985-1990, she received the UGC Junior and Senior Research Fellowship for her Ph.D.studies.
1975In 1975, she received the Hamil Memorial Scholarship from Elphinstone College (Mumbai) for securing the highest marks in English Literature at the Intermediate Arts Examination.
- Dr. Vevaina is also a Spiritual Educator and a Peace Activist. She is committed to helping learners enhance the EQ (Emotional Quotient), SoQ (Social Quotient) and SQ (Spiritual Quotient) through her carefully-researched and highly interactive programmes.
- She is also a renowned storyteller. In February 2011, she brought together storytellers from across Mumbai and created Wordfully Yours: World Storytelling Association which aims to train adults in the art and technique of effective storytelling. The organization is committed to helping create a safer and a more caring world by enhancing geoliteracy, socioliteracy and psycholiteracy among listeners belonging to varied age groups.